2009年5月8日金曜日

Tamari Shoyu (Tamari Soy Sauce)


The other day I went looking for a new soy sauce to use in an oriental dressing that I thought up. I was looking for a Tamari soy sauce because it is lower in carbs and is made by collecting the liquid that comes from making miso (fermented soy bean paste). Why is this important? Most soy sauces are made using wheat in the fermenting process but in a true "Tamari Shoyu" there is no wheat involved so it is gluten free and lower in carbs.

Tamari is much darker than regular soy sauce and has a richer and deeper somewhat smokey flavor. In fact, one of my favoite cocktail sauces is made using Tamari shoyu.
( Take 2/3 cup of ketchup, 1 T of Tamari Shoyu and 2 tsps of raw ground wasabi and mix together) Grab a bowl of iced boiled shrimp and enjoy :)

Tamari can be used in marinades, stocks, dips, dressing anywhere that you would normally use Soy Sauce. I went to three different stores before i found what I was looking for.

Although rather pricey, @$6.36 per 500 mil bottle I found exactly what I wanted with the added bonus of it being organic. I used it in a new sesame dressing that was just divine. This Tamari shoyu has a deep rich flavor and is great for adding a little extra flavor to hamurgers, pork chops, chicken and steaks. This product is exaxtly what I was looking for and I will definately be buying this again.

PS Make sure read the label carefully when looking for Tamari Shoyu in the United States as there are many Tamari Shoyu wannabes..if you catch my drift :)

0 件のコメント: